Re: [SLUG] DSL Home Networking NOOB

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 19:04:09 EDT

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:50:24AM -0400, ethan zimmerman wrote:

> Okay so I'm finally getting Verizon DSL, and I need help setting up a
> network. This is what I want to do:
> DSL --> red hat 9 firewall/router --> ethernet hub --> 2 or three
> computers

I have a similar setup, except that my router runs Coyote. You'll need 2
NICs in your router, one going to the DSL modem, and one going to the
hub. From the hub, it's direct to every computer on your network.

> What do I need to install/configure to make the red hat 9
> firewall/router, and can I use an old 486DX (50Mhz) box, or should I use
> a more modern box?

The 486 will be fine, but most machines of that day don't come with as
much memory as RH9 will want. I don't know the requirements, but RH has
been steadily moving up in its requirements. I hope that, unlike
Mandrake, they still support the 486. If RH won't do it, you could use
Debian, Coyote, or one of the single-disk firewall distros. Since I
don't use RH, I can't tell you what buttons to push to make it do what
you want, but you obviously won't want to install any GUIs on it. You'll
have to learn to massage your configs by hand.

The key (once all the NICs are recognized) is iptables. This will
protect the rest of your network and forward traffic appropriately. It's
tedious, but not that hard to understand. First thing's first, I'd hook
it all up (without the internet connection) and ensure all the machines
can ping each other. This will entail either editing your /etc/hosts
files with the names/IPs of all the machines on your network, or setting
up DHCP. You will also need dhcpcd or pump or similar program on your
router so that it can obtain an IP address from Verizon.

Ask particular questions as you go along, and we can give you more data
or pointers to documentation.

Paul