[SLUG] Unix code disclaimer, and this SCO debacle

From: Rock (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 09:06:13 EDT

I don't comment often but this issue appears to be a consequence of the
openness of the open source community itself, and as such begs for a
resolution.
I don't claim to know how patches or improvements are submitted by
independent kernel programmers but it seems that some sort of disclaimer
from them needs to be required before changes are incorporated into the
Linux kernel. What if some programmer incorporates Unix code into their
patch and that is incorporated into the kernel? What then? How would
anyone know. Without a disclaimer stating that "no Unix code has been
used", we have no way of assuring the open source community that the
Linux kernel is really free of Unix code.

I don't think that is asking too much of the programmers and would be
easy to require before submitting code to be incorporated into the
kernel.

Michael C. Rock
Systems Analyst
Registered Linux User # 287973

"The time has come the walrus said to speak of many things,,,"
"Christians give up what they cannot keep to gain what they cannot lose"