Re: [SLUG] Unix code disclaimer, and this SCO debacle

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 21:36:30 EDT

>>We _know_ they have BSD-licensed code I am firmly convinced that they
>>have a whole lot more than just BSD code in there, whether it's on
>>purpose or accidentally. People can't see the code, and most of their
>>programmers come right out of college with little to no real
>>experience. Why shouldn't they cut-n-paste some code if it's already
>>out there, and even if they found out, why should Microsoft care?
>>Nobody is EVER going to see that code, and if anyone ever makes a claim
>>and tries to have it legally disclosed, they have enough money to sue
>>them and their ancestors and descendents into oblivion to prevent anyone
>>from disclosing the code that might prove it.

    MS has an ace up their sleeve on that one anyways. To find the code
would mean that you have disassembled/reverse engineered *their* code,
which is against the license agreement. I am pretty sure that their
legal dept would have a field day in court with that point. Or worse,
using that as "evidence" that the open source community really *is* busy
trying to attack their precious code.

    Jeff