Re: [SLUG] Ready for your computer to be destroyed?

From: Kenneth W Hansen (khansen46@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 09:19:27 EDT

Bseides the obvious risk that ``...innocent users might be wrongly targeted'', there are two other major issues I see.
1) "Innocent until proven guilty". Mr. Hatch's proposal violates the Constitution. Plain and simple. Conviction and sentencing without being afforded a trial by a jury of peers, and not being given the right to confront your accusers.
2) "The senator...acknowledged Congress would have to enact an exemption for copyright owners from liability for damaging computers."
Law enforcement being carried out by non-law enforcement personnel. This is much different than a "citizen's arrest". This is the actual conviction and sentencing being carried out by civilians. This isn't any different than the lynch mobs from early history.

I can just imagine the lawsuit that would come the first time this was done.

Ken