[SLUG] Tossing out conspiracy hypotheses

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 15:02:26 EDT

Ever since I first heard about the lawsuit that has become the SCO/IBM
debacle, I, like many others, assumed that Microsoft was the ominous
malefactor working behind the scenes. Who else could it have been, right?

However, reading an article, which I've linked below, and seeing some odd,
recent advertisements has caused me to wonder. Sun has launched a mass
marketing campaign, banking on the the SCO-spread FUD to reap the bounty
of IBM's worried customers.

Wouldn't it have been a very interesting (and masterful, speaking in a
Machiavellian context) gambit by Sun to have nudged SCO into this course
of action? Sun has the required assets, and the suit will potentially
damage all its competitors: in the case of a SCO success, IBM and Linux
will be set back and damaged in the public eye. Additionally, Microsoft
will lose public opinion (if they really have any left), since everyone
suspects that they're pulling SCO's strings. Finally, SCO itself will end
up self-destructing, since nobody would dare trust them nor license a
product from them ever again. Novell is already a marginal player. Who
is left standing, with free reign over IT in business? Sun! Brilliant!

Unlikely, but worth watching...

Levi