Re: [SLUG] Mac

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 15:24:57 EDT

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, jeremy bowers wrote:

> New question: I've got a beige g3 powermac and I need to do something with
> it. I have no macOS and a blank hard drive that I can use.
> [...]
> What can I do with this? I noticed that Debian seems to be the best distro
> to run, but there's no way I can use BootX with no MacOS. Anyone gotten
> quik to run on an old world mac?

Beige G3's are supported under NetBSD with a few caveats:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html

Make sure to read the referenced footnote... it should work, but you may
need to tweak the OFW using a utility disk downloadable from Apple.

Doesn't OS X run on that machine, though? I seem to recall that it's
unsupported, but does actually work. Perhaps it's not worth plunking down
the money to run it on such a slow machine, though.