[SLUG] LTSP White Paper - Cost Comparison

From: John Clay (john.clay@lfr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 08:48:17 EDT

The cost comparison for the LTSP White Paper (Reduced Cost Network
Computing Through The Use Of Thin Clients And Low Cost Software) is now
up on the ltsp.org site, alongside the paper. It's in the Articles and
Presentations section in OO.o format but a pdf version should be posted
soon.

I hope that this paper will be useful for those who are trying to
evaluate or make the case for LTSP, or Linux in general, as a credible
alternative to the MS PC Workstation/Server model. It is a work in
progress that could be improved by the input and contributions of
others. Comments, suggestions and contributions would be greatly
appreciated. Perhaps a slide show or net present value analysis of an
improved version of the cost analysis?

I'm particularly interested in other opinions, experiences and analyses
related to the details and labor costs associated with both types of
systems. The total labor cost estimates related to operation of both
systems presented in the analysis, are much lower than would actually be
the case. This was largely due to the difficulty of obtaining data,
quantifying the degree to which different organizations maintain their
systems and quantifying their expectations. Therefore, I attempted to
identify the major elements that would differ and attach order of
magnitude estimates.

I'd also be interested in the experiences of those who have actually
migrated offices or organizations, of any size, from MS PC/Server
systems to LTSP thin clients or Linux PC/Server systems. Were there any
major Linux application problems or shortcomings? For example: I've
noticed that pdf documents generated in my OO.o installation don't
always open properly in the Linux or MS worlds. I don't know if thats
just a function of my installation or a common issue, or whether Star
Office has the problem too.

Thanks.

John Clay