RE: [SLUG] cups problem

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 16:47:56 EDT

> I think I found the problem,, one of my associates who is love with MS
> was trying to sabotage the migration to Linux. At least that is what I
> think, since I discovered him in the server room trying to get the NT
> back up with print server routines, the problem has disappeared.
>
> Most everything works as designed. Not bad. Set up CUPS print server
> and 65 workstations with multiple printer access and 6 printers in about
> a day. And that was working between the lines with people at their
> workstations working.
>
> I just hope Cups does not crap out on me, I am betting the farm on this!

Note: CUPS has a denial of service vulnerability - apparently you can make
a badly formed request, it doesn't time out, and it ties up the queue(s)
until somebody fixes the problem manually. I don't have the exact link,
but you can dig at linuxsecurity.org and find something. I'm sure it will
be fixed soon, if it isn't already. Something to watch out for in the
meantime, though.

Levi