[SLUG] SOC has No Trade Secrets Campaign

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 20:15:35 EDT

Hi All

I just found a web site where they are attempting to prove that SOC has no
trade secrets becayse of neglect.

If yoy have interest the sete is referenced and a copy of the partition
follows.

Frank

No Secrets
Ref.: http://catb.org/~esr/nosecrets/

You can help stop the SCO attack on IBM and the Linux community. I'm looking
for ways that Unix trade secrets may have been legally nullified.

OSI has explained why this suit is groundless. Now I want to know if you have
ever had read access to proprietary Unix source code (not just binaries and
documentation) under circumstances where either no non-disclosure agreement
was required or whatever non-disclosure agreement you had was not enforced.

All proprietary Unix and Unix-like operating systems are relevant. I am
especially interested in AT&T, USL/Novell/UnixWare and XENIX/SCO versions,
but all proprietary versions are interesting. This includes but is not
limited to AIX, SunOS/Solaris, and HP-UX. It includes not just living Unix
dialects but dead ones as well.

Do not tell me about access to Linux sources or those for the open-source BSD
variants. Access to "ancient Unix" (Version 7, Version 6, and older; yes, I
know all about the Lions book, so don't tell me about it) is also not
interesting; we can prove those were generally available.

I can't talk about how this information will be applied, nor by who. You'll
have to trust me, or at any rate my record as an ambassador of the community,
that it will be effective and that I will respect your confidentiality and
not disclose any facts about individuals without their express permission.

You can read about Trade Secret Law and Risk and How To Report Access.

SCO wants to use the courts to attack us and claim control of the Linux code;
let's make them rue the day they thought this was a good idea, by proving
that they have no trade secrets.

For a particularly entertaining take on this lawsuit, see this Dukes of
Hazzard parody. There is also a Eminem-style rap song.

How To Report Access
Ref.: http://catb.org/~esr/nosecrets/howto.html

Here is a sample response in a useful form:

%%No-secrets 1.0:
Name: Eric S. Raymond
Email: esr@thyrsus.com
Version: System V Release 1
When: June 1986
Where: Rabbit Software
Who: co-worker
Public: Yes
Affidavit: Yes
Have-Copy: Yes
%%

If there are special circumstances you think I should know about, feel free to
include a text explanation afterwards.

Here is an explanation of the fields:

Name: Your full legal name. Reports under an alias or handle will be ignored.
Email: A valid return email address.
Version: The OS name, version, and release.
When: The date you gained access. Year is good; year and month is better.
Where: Where it happened. You may omit this information if you believe some
person could be placed at legal risk by it.
Who: Your relationship to the person who gave you access, or to the
institution where you got it. Were you a student, an employee, a colleague, a
friend?
Public: Whether you are willing to have your report be public.
Affadavit: Whether you are willing to sign an affidavit to the effect that you
had this access.
Have-copy: Do you still have access to a copy?

You may think your story is too typical to need reporting, but don't let that
stop you. I want to be able to show dozens, hundreds or even thousands of
examples of disclosure - a pervasive and continuing pattern of failure to do
what is required to maintain trade secrecy under the law. The privacy of
individual whistleblowers will be respected.

Please consider copying the above, changing the response to describe your
access, and sending it back to me. I expect to receive hundreds or perhaps
even thousands or responses; getting them in a form easy for analysis scripts
to process would be a good thing.

Mail all responses to me Please use the subject line "No secrets".