Re: [SLUG] cups problem

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 09:28:44 EDT

what happens if you run these commands with your printer on (as it looks
like you are using the parallel port for printing, and not a usb port)?

# touch test.txt
# echo "Hello World" > test.txt
# cat test.txt > /dev/lp0

if that doesn't print anything, what happens when you try to restart your lprng daemon?
i don't know how this is done in slackware...in gentoo I use: /etc/init.d/lprng restart

if none of this seems to be working and lprng isn't starting or
restarting, if I were you, I'd start over from the beginning with a
better driver http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/ (installation
instructions there and it says Slackware is a supported distro) and
probably with CUPS instead for the first go around just because I have
had better luck with CUPS in general.

if that doesn't work, I'd go back to here
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_550C and
try a gimp-print with CUPS installation which has been automagic for me
on a few distros (but never have used Slackware). hope something here
helps...