RE: [SLUG] Java prepares to fight M$

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 14:44:41 EDT

> They use
> computers (some flavor of UNIX if I remember correctly, but it might be
> windows) to automatically feed the chickens, etc, and warn the owners
> when there are problems (such as temperatures being too cold in the
> house etc).

One of my (favorite) math professors wrote an app in Pascal to do this
kind of thing for a large dairy farm, back in the 80s. It mixed each
animal's feed from several ingredients (each of which had to be a certain
percentage depending on what time of year it was, current milk production,
any sicknesses, ...), ordered new ingredients when they were low, and so
on.

Levi