RE: [SLUG] Java prepares to fight M$

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 18:23:59 EDT

Java...Java...must focus. I feel the most interesting this in java
these days has nothing to do with Sun, but with the SWT part of the
Eclipse project. Eclipse itself is nice and useful, but big deal, it's
another IDE, just very well planned-out. With SWT, I can make some fast
responding GUI apps for linux that are mostly portable to other other
operating systems and with the availability of all the java libraries.
I am looking forward to Sun's new suite of easier tools and increased
language abstraction. As far as the article, I'm just stream of
consciousnessing here, all I could discern from it is that it might not
be a bad time to buy some Sun stock. It can't get much lower. So the
scenarios could be: 1) Sun would get bought out before they went
bankrupt. They might get bought out in a competitive bidding frenzy,
but that would only make holding the stock more valuable. It would be
an attractive purchase, as java is quite embedded in server rooms. Sun
would never sell the java technology and still try to stay in business,
because the board and shareholders wouldn't allow it in the near/medium
future. 2)Sun might succeed at its strategy of taking on .Net for easy
development and for business analysts to program instead of just
developers. So the stock you buy goes up. What else?

As for the hicks/rednecks/cattle/chicken hutches/ideal farm wifery, no
comment.

-eric