Re: [SLUG] Dual-boot laptop

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 18:39:36 EDT

I like this site: http://www.linux-laptop.net/ I'd go with Suse or
Redhat just because the hardware configuration is easier. Gentoo/Debian
work great on laptops and have support for getting the power management
features/fancy laptop buttons/battery charge monitors working, but it's
a lot of work. I remember with redhat you could easily put a linux
installation on an existing windows partition, but this isn't fair to
linux and is sub-optimal. I'd like to see Windows be that flexible. To
do it correctly, you're going to need to wipe out your windows
installation, repartition your hard drive giving far more space to linux
(humour me please) and reinstall windows, then linux in their respective
partitions. You will get a great feeling of exhileration when it all
works, but then you will become possessed by tux and give the whole
harddrive to linux erasing windows XP. Why would doing this void your
warranty? If you find the hardware defective, just reinstall XP and
return it to the manufacturer. I busted a compaq laptop with dual boot,
sent it back to compaq with a both OSs, and they fixed it and didn't
pester me. HTH