Re: [SLUG] Dual-boot laptop

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 23:36:52 EDT

Bradley Brown wrote:

>---snipped-----
> Is there any particular distro that is geared more towards the laptop?

    Based upon my own experiences with installing different distros on
different laptops, these are my choices:
    1) Knoppix is the quickest to have up and running, and has excellent
hardware detection. It copies a compressed image to the hard drive, with
minimal intervention needed. The install is virtually idiot proof (type
one word, partition the disk, wait about 20 minutes, create the
accounts, and reboot).

    2) Mandrake seems to be about equal (good hardware detection,
multiple installation choices) but takes longer to install.

    3) RedHat had very minor configuration issues (incorrectly detected
hardware) with two machines, but was easy to remedy.

   4) Debian seems to be OK with laptops, just be prepared to fiddle
with APM on some models.

    Hope this answers your question.
    Jeff