Re: [SLUG] Linux on a business card

From: Kenneth W Hansen (khansen46@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 08:42:36 EDT

Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com> wrote:
<snip>
And if this thread turns into another "SuSE
sucks because you can't download their distro for free...

I have no problem with any of these companies making money on the hard (and in some cases exceptional) work they've done. However, IMO, there are limits to everything. I think money has taken over as top priority, and they're trying to set up their distro to make people dependant on them alone.

I have emails from Mandrake, Vector, and SOT stating that I can install the downloaded version of their software (SOT and Vector will allow any version except server) on as many computers, personal, business, or retail, as I want free of charge. SOT's only request was that I refer customers needing custom solutions directly to the. Elx requires a $15.00 fee for each business computer it is installed on (one time - not annual), but is free for non-profits, schools, etc.

RH, on the other hand, wants full price for each and every business computer that it's installed on - no matter which version, downloaded or not. And they're pretty pricey. For the companies that want that software, and are willing to pay the price, then that's fine. As for me, I'm not paying that kind of money for the computer I have set up for our home business, and I'm not going to allow myself to become dependant on one single software provider. I think there are plenty of free and cheap solutions that are available.

Ken