[SLUG] open source point of sale solutions

From: Josh Tiner (jtiner@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 13:58:49 EDT

What's up everyone:

I just got off the phone with my brother in Louisiana. Apparently he has
just managed to acquire a pizza parlor there. It's been there for years,
and is quite successful. The pizza shop was a mom n' pop operation with
no computers / databases etc powering it. Just an old Samsung cash
register, pencil, and paper.

He's actually wanting me to find a way to get it up to modern standards.
I was wondering if anyone out there knew of some Open Source point of
sale solutions that would be ideal for this situation. He's been
considering spending about $5000 on a POS system, but if he does that
would lock him into a contract deal, and he would pretty much be stuck
with the software as long as he does business.

Ideas? Ideally the solution would handle POS, inventory, label printing
for the boxes, and manage employees. I know it sounds like a tall order,
no pun intended, but I was really hoping something is available out
there before he goes out and makes a purchase that would put him a
little behind his financial budget.

-jtiner