Re: [SLUG] open source point of sale solutions

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 15:05:28 EDT

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 13:58, Josh Tiner wrote:

> Ideas? Ideally the solution would handle POS, inventory, label printing
> for the boxes, and manage employees. I know it sounds like a tall order,
> no pun intended, but I was really hoping something is available out
> there before he goes out and makes a purchase that would put him a
> little behind his financial budget.

We hunted around for OSS POS software and didn't find too much. We did
find a couple of commercial packages that support Linux tho. Quasar was
one in particular that looked very nice, although the customer
eventually went with something else. (Long story...) At the very
least, it was much cheaper than $5000 and didn't seem to come with any
strings attached re. lifetime contract requirements or anything.

http://www.linuxcanada.com/

I did run across another commercial product that the company was moving
towards open-sourcing, but I can't find the emails now from the rep I
spoke with and can't remember the name. A google search on "linux point
of sale" should turn up at least one or two good hits.

"We all enter this world in the    | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked |        http://www.eff.org/
in blood. But if you live your     |  http://www.anti-dmca.org/
life right, that kind of thing     |---------------------------
doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould