Re: [SLUG] Dual-boot laptop

From: Kenneth W Hansen (khansen46@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 15:36:50 EDT

I'll look for this info; I'm curious to read specifics.
I did a lot of reading in magazines and on the web before I used XP, and this is what I came up with (as far as the activation stuff). My actual experience with XP wasn't entirely bad except for the drivers and the inevitable crash. I average 2-3 major crashes with MS a week, and XP wasn't any better. Mostly kernel errors and stuff like that.
Anyway, if I'm wrong - and I hope I am - my apologies.

Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 05:14:55AM -0700, Kenneth W Hansen wrote:

> With this registration process completed, MS has a record of what
> computer you're using, all of your hardware, and even what software is
> installed.

This isn't true. A key is generated or retrieved for each piece of
hardware. But the keys are truncated before being combined into the key
you transmit to Microsoft. Consequently, Microsoft does not retain a
record of your exact hardware. They may be able to say you have an ATI
video card, but not which one, for example.

This data is from an analysis a non-Microsoftie did of the scheme. I
don't recall the link, or I'd give it to you. But you could probably
google it.

Paul