Re: [SLUG] spyware guard for Linux?

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 01:40:30 EDT

On Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 11:15PM -0400, Greg Schmidt wrote:
> Is there something comparable to AdAware or Spybot Search & Destroy for
> Linux?
>
> I know it's different. The Windows executables won't run under Linux,
> but there's still things like cookies involved.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Mozilla and Konqueror both have features to allow you to allow
or deny cookies based on the hostname, and that can remember
which sites are 'okay' and which ones are not allowed
to set cookies. I'd turn that on.

Other than that, just don't install programs
from untrusted places...

I find spyware on GNU/Linux boxes to be very unlikely in the near
future... maybe in a few years we'll catch up to Windows in that
respect. <grin>.

It's like viruses. Sure, it is possible, but just not that common,
at least not yet.

--
Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable.
                -- The Wizard of Oz