Re: [SLUG] spyware guard for Linux?

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 10:09:24 EDT

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 01:40, Dylan William Hardison wrote:

> Mozilla and Konqueror both have features to allow you to allow
> or deny cookies based on the hostname, and that can remember
> which sites are 'okay' and which ones are not allowed
> to set cookies. I'd turn that on.
>
> Other than that, just don't install programs
> from untrusted places...
>
> I find spyware on GNU/Linux boxes to be very unlikely in the near
> future... maybe in a few years we'll catch up to Windows in that
> respect. <grin>.
>
> It's like viruses. Sure, it is possible, but just not that common,
> at least not yet.

I agree with everything he said. It's just not an issue under Linux
unless you've been 0\/\/nz0r3d, in which case, you've got much worse
problems.

If you need something under Linux that can tell you if there are any
malicious programs running in the background, try 'ps', 'netstat -an'
and 'nmap'. (Not being sarcastic. Those are the best tools for that
sort of thing. Anything else would just be eye-candy wrapped around a
tool like one of those.)

Do you have a reason to suspect something, or are you just asking out of
curiosity?

"We all enter this world in the    | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked |        http://www.eff.org/
in blood. But if you live your     |  http://www.anti-dmca.org/
life right, that kind of thing     |---------------------------
doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould