Re: [SLUG] spyware guard for Linux?

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 20:54:02 EDT

Derek Glidden wrote:

> Do you have a reason to suspect something, or are you just asking out of
> curiosity?

Mainly just curious. The Windows executables aren't a problem with
Linux. The registry entries aren't a problem. I suppose something more
cross-platform like java might be, but seems a stretch. However,
AdAware and Spybot identify browser cookies that are used by
disreputable outfits and rip them out while leaving the cookies I want
alone. A cookie from a place like nosy.evil.adtracking.com is of no use
to me, and I'd rather not have it reporting my next arrival at some
different page with the same company's ads. Spybot finds it and gets
rid of it. In Mozilla on my Linux boxen I might have accidentally let a
cookie like that get through while the "remember this decision" checkbox
was on. Seems to me that there should be some easy tool for Linux that
can purge the evil tracking snacks from my cookie jar, but I haven't
found one.