Re: [SLUG] a simple harddrive backup scheme

From: Matt Miller (Matt.Miller@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 14:19:34 EDT

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 13:44, Eric Jahn wrote:
> If I want to become responsible and start backing up my data on a daily
> basis, what's the simplest, lowest maintenance way to go? I'm thinking
> a cron job that runs a bash script which copies specified folders to the
> other drive. Does this sound like a path of least resistance? Is there
> good free open source software that can manage this for me?

I'm partial to rsync-ing via ssh (rsa/dsa keys) from my
servers/workstations to a remote backup server with a "backup"
harddrive.
I have written a simple bash script which rsyncs specific volatile data
nightly. The shell script runs via cron on the backup server.

Very easy to setup and configure:
a) Select or create an account for backups. This account must exist on
all hosts. Create ssh keys for the backup account for authentication
from the backup server to your backup hosts.
b) Configure script to do something like --

    rsync -avz -e ssh <backup_host>:/path/to/backup_dir \
    /path/on/backup_server

   Repeat for each host you wish to backup.

c) Setup the cron job.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. -- Nietzsche