Re: [SLUG] Content management systems?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 03:37:43 EDT

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:53:18PM -0400, Steven Buehler wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 July 2003 08:01 pm, Dylan William Hardison wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 02, 2003 at 07:03PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > Do you really need a CMS? I do the SLUG site with a homebrew system
> > > involving make, perl and mp4h, and upload the static pages via rsync.
> >
> > What about m4? :)
> >
> > I was going to use m4, make, sed, awk, and some other utils
> > to manage my site, and I even have a complicated blog of sorts written
> > in zsh... Never finnished that project, though.
>
> Would be nice, but I don't control the server. I have access to Perl, PHP,
> and MySQL, which is that the hosting provider makes available. I'm kinda
> hoping I can talk them into adding Miva Empresa, since I'm fairly well-versed
> in MivaScript...

I set up my first ecommerce site with Miva. Never again. These guys are
so closed source and so expensive.... At the time, it also would not
display properly in AOL's browser, which my customer would have been
using to admin the site. My ISP knew it, and so did Miva, but they still
hadn't fixed it. And the skillset for Miva doesn't translate to anything
else; it's all non-standard. Well, it's standard for Miva, but nothing
else. I sought out and found an open source perl-based ecommerce
solution.

Naturally, anyone is welcome to choose Miva. It just personally left a
very bad taste in my mouth.

Paul