Re: [SLUG] Links directional??

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2003 - 01:21:13 EDT

On Saturday 05 July 2003 08:46, Eric Jahn wrote:
> when you start Mozilla and go into the submenu Help-->About-Plug-Ins,
> does the resulting html page generated mention anything about java?

Eric,
No, it doesn't. In fact that is how I have been checking each time I make a
change.

> If so, could you cut & paste the java section in a reply? Also, what
> version of mozilla, linux distro, and blackdown version are you using?

OK, SuSE 8.2 - Mozilla 1.4rc3 - Blackdown 2-1.4.1 - GCC 3.3

> There are issues with recent versions of mozilla being compiled with
> either gcc 2.95 and 3.22 and the newest Blackdowns are with gcc 3.22.
> Also, check this out below from the blackdown website
> http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/INSTALL-1.3-j2re
>
> Java Plug-In install instructions:
> ==================================
>
> Please remove older plug-in versions before installing the 1.3.1-02b-FCS
> plug-in. E.g. remove ~/.netscape/plugins/javaplugin.so and
> ~/.netscape/java/.

none there

> * Mozilla / Netscape 6.2
>
> Create a symbolic link from
> <Java2 SDK installation>/jre/plugin/<ARCH>/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so to
> one of the directories Mozilla/Netscape 6 searches for plug-ins.
> E.g.
>
> % ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.3.1/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so \
> ~/mozilla-0.9.6/plugins/
> or
> % su # become root
> % ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.3.1/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so \
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

OK, made the link as root. Now I have java in the mozilla about plugins html
page. And they kind of work. Load very very slowly. There is one page I go to
frequently that has about 10 applets (fphover) that takes a full one to two
minutes to load. And, my links are backwards to the above example. Mozilla
is in /usr/local and Blackdown is in /usr/lib. Following is the link I used:
ln -s /usr/lib/BlackdownJava2-1.4.1/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so
/usr/local/mozilla/plugins

There is also a directory /usr/lib/browser-plugins Has some of my plugins in
it. Probably I created it myself fooling around with this? It is dated just
a few days ago.

Thanks for your help. This advice will be stored in my personal "help"
archives for future reference. Now all I have to figure out is why the
applets are loading so sloooooowly.

Thanks again, If you have any ideas on the slow loading I would like to hear
them.

Bob S.