[SLUG] Mandrake 9.1 install trouble on HP Pavilion 503w

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 08:30:59 EDT

Finally able to get my hard disk repartitioned on my
Pavilion 503w and got Mandrake 9.1 installed (251MB
swap and about a 4GB ReiserFS partition; the rest is
WinXP), but now I'm having trouble.

Partitioning went fine; boots with problems, I get
first an insmod error on a device (don't know which,
haven't gotten a prompt yet to find out), then when
trying to bring up eth0 (RealTek RTL-8139C on-board) I
get "zcip[907] SIOCSIFFLAGS error in main ifup: Device
or resource busy(16)" ... Then after the audigy driver
loads, the system begins to slow down until by the
time it gets to loading CUPS it's completely stalled.

I was able to open maintenance mode using a failsafe
boot, and the only issues I could find were that it
picked up an on-board audio chip (AC-97) that the
Audigy overrode, it can't grab IRQ 6 for the floppy
disk driver, and the device or resource for eth0 is
busy. There are no other obvious errors that would
raise a red flag.

BTW, Knoppix 3.2 Live distro loads from CD just fine
on this system, except that it has no driver for the
RealTek NIC and it refuses to load the Audigy drivers
(apparently no support for it in Knoppix).

Ideas? I'm fearing that the Pavilion has too much
proprietary crap to properly load Mandrake. I've
already decided just to resize the WinXP partition
back up and use the Knoppix CD but for future benefit
I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why it
would slow down so badly (I'm on a Celeron 1.7GHz,
640MB box here!).

=====

Steven W. Buehler | swbuehler@yahoo.com
Web Site: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org