Re: [SLUG] brighthouse

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 11:46:26 EDT

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Ian Blenke wrote:

> You can usually get "IDSL" (basically ISDN with no D-channel switch
> signalling) from most switches (SLC and CO) today, but you're limited to
> 144Kbps.

Indeed, I was hoping for IDSL as a last resort -- but couldn't find any
providers in the area who had even heard of it, let alone offer it.

> Do you have any neighbors with broadband within line-of-sight to do your
> own private wireless shot? The trick here is convincing said neighbors
> that this is 1) legal, and 2) worth the hassle.

It's possible that someone within range has broadband, but my immediate
neighbors (i.e. the ones I know) don't have it.

When I first moved in, I actually had the opposite idea -- getting frac T1
or frame relay service and starting a wireless ISP of sorts (I'm in a very
tightly packed subdivision, so this is perhaps more feasible than it
sounds).