Re: [SLUG] 4 IDE's

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 11:50:23 EDT

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:

> This may sound really dumb but I am thinking of going to a motherborad
> with 4 IDE spots instead of two. I don't want to use RAID, just a third
> hard drive (for backup) and maybe in the future add a DVD. I have two
> hd and a cd-rom and a burner now. All the motherborads I've seen with 4
> also have built in raid. Will the CMOS let me not use the hd's with
> raid ?

If the built-in RAID functionality works like any other hardware RAID
system I've ever seen, you should be able to export the drives in a JBOD
(Just a Bunch of Disks) configuration where each volume maps precisely to
one drive with no mirroring, striping, etc. But this depends on the
capabilities of the RAID system.

Alternatively, you could connect the drives using FireWire or even USB
depending on your requirements.