Re: [SLUG] 4 IDE's

From: btt (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 11:58:16 EDT

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 05:36:28AM -0400, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:
> This may sound really dumb but I am thinking of going to a
> motherborad with 4 IDE spots instead of two. I don't want to use
> RAID, just a third hard drive (for backup) and maybe in the future
> add a DVD. I have two hd and a cd-rom and a burner now. All the
> motherborads I've seen with 4 also have built in raid. Will the
> CMOS let me not use the hd's with raid ? Sorry if this really is a
> dumb question but I have only built two machines and they only had 2
> IDE spots. TIA, Maureen

I have one of these and think it is just great:

  http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=37

It is a bit old, and I think that they have a DRAGON2 out now, but I
found that board to be very compatible with linux (the on-board
ethernet and audio both have drivers, as well as the on-board Promise
IDE controler). The RAID can be disabled allowing two extra ata100
ports.

I'm itchin to get the DRAGON 2, but I want to upgrade the RAM and CPU
at the same time. Ennh... maybe soon.