Re: [SLUG] 4 IDE's

From: Maureen L. Thomas (res1ydl9@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 00:08:30 EDT

btt wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 05:36:28AM -0400, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:
>

>>This may sound really dumb but I am thinking of going to a
>>motherborad with 4 IDE spots instead of two. I don't want to use
>>RAID, just a third hard drive (for backup) and maybe in the future
>>add a DVD. I have two hd and a cd-rom and a burner now. All the
>>motherborads I've seen with 4 also have built in raid. Will the
>>CMOS let me not use the hd's with raid ? Sorry if this really is a
>>dumb question but I have only built two machines and they only had 2
>>IDE spots. TIA, Maureen
>>

>I have one of these and think it is just great:
>
> http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=37
>
>It is a bit old, and I think that they have a DRAGON2 out now, but I
>found that board to be very compatible with linux (the on-board
>ethernet and audio both have drivers, as well as the on-board Promise
>IDE controler). The RAID can be disabled allowing two extra ata100
>ports.
>
>I'm itchin to get the DRAGON 2, but I want to upgrade the RAM and CPU
>at the same time. Ennh... maybe soon.

The boards I am looking at are both SOYO - SY-KT333 Dragon Ultra
(Platinum Edition) with embedded Hipoint IDE-RAID that does ATA-133, IDE
RAID 0,1, 0+1. The SOYO website doesn't say it I can disable it in the
BIOS. It does say its compatible with Linux and BSD as well as
winblows. The Mandrake website compatibility site doesn'ts have
anything on Hipoint Raid or the KT333 chipsets. Or maybe I'll go with
the K7VX4L Soyo Dragon plus without Raid and 2 IDE's and just get a card
to inc the number of IDE's.

I am going with a new motherboard because my existing board's USB ports
are not working. They won't even recognize a mouse. I though it might
be mandrake but I am running mandrake on my laptop and it recognines
everything. So I'll upgrade the motherboard, memory, and add another
HD. Thanks for the help Maureen