Re: [SLUG] Linux VPNd for MS VPN clients

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 11:32:53 EDT

Rock wrote:
> Egads,
>
> That was going to be my next question. I think I will have an
> opportunity to take us from NT as the VPN host to Linux as the host for
> our MS clients. Has anyone ever used this freeswan.org product
> commercially?

We use FreeSwan at NKS very heavily.

> Also there is VNC, but I thought that was only from linux to linux. Did
> not know there was a MS version available.

VNC is cross-platform. The RFB protocol is an RFC published spec, and
there are a number of VNC clients for just about every platform now.

> Anybody have experience with making Linux into a VPN server for
> Microsoft VPN
> clients? I wanted to get the scoop and any caveats about this.
> Currently, the Linux box runs file services with Samba and SSH for
> administration, but
> it doesn't support the windows clients coming in with their version of
> VPN.

I've used PoPToP and Microsoft PPTP clients a while ago, but I don't
recommend it for security reasons.

It is possible to use FreeSwan with the IPSEC implementation in
Win2k/WinXP. From the brief research I've done, you need to setup L2TP
tunnels to get transport mode to work. Anyone else spend the time
getting this to work?

> I am going to do a search, but I wanted to get the inside from you folks
> that have done this before.

We generally use the Cisco IPSEC client instead of the native Microsoft
IPSEC implementation. There are other VPN clients that are
interchangable as well.

- Ian