RE: [SLUG] Linux VPNd for MS VPN clients

From: Matt Miller (Matt.Miller@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 11:43:52 EDT

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 11:12, Rock wrote:
> That was going to be my next question. I think I will have an
> opportunity to take us from NT as the VPN host to Linux as the host for
> our MS clients. Has anyone ever used this freeswan.org product
> commercially?

I use FreeS/WAN extensively - mostly for point-to-point IPSEC tunnels
(with ESP) over insecure connections. From experience, FreeS/WAN works
well with Checkpoint and 3COM VPN Concentrators (and costs considerably
less). My earlier post had a link for setting up FreeS/WAN for
WinXP/2000 clients with x509 certs.

> Also there is VNC, but I thought that was only from linux to linux. Did
> not know there was a MS version available.

VNC is not a VPN solution, but instead a tool which enables a user to
remotely control another host machine. VPN implies the ability to tunnel
into another network to establish secure connectivity; or to connect two
or more networks over an insecure network (like the internet).

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. -- Nietzsche