Re: [SLUG] Linux VPNd for MS VPN clients

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 14:03:43 EDT

I like all of the infomation I'm reading. I suppose the discussion of VNC as
a counter-solution to setting up a VPN is regarding the dedicated encrypted
form of the VNC (RFB?) protocol so that it safe to control a PC remotely? I
think I've heard of such a protocol, but I haven't seen or tried it. If so,
that wouldn't be too bad as an intermediate choice, but my decision for going
VPN is mostly to get to a company intellectual property repository rather
than control workstations to roundabout access the I.P. Also, setting up
Windows VNC servers with client stations introduces a user security
responsibility with passwords and open ports to those end stations. I can't
trust end users with security let alone trust windows machines with security
on top of that. All of my windows machines at home are network neutered and I
proudly did it with garden shears!

/mario