Re: [SLUG] Getting copies of mail

From: SpamFree (SpamFree@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 17:59:16 EDT

On Thursday July 10 2003 04:54 pm, you wrote:
> I hate to have to ask this but it has become apparent that I have to do
> something about the situation.
> One of our sales reps is "allegedly" divulging trade secrets vie email to
> rival companies and some customers. My higher-ups have asked me to begin
> tracking all of the users email and keep copies of them for review. They
> would also like me to track incoming mail to this user as well. All without
> attracting the attention of the user... of course. :-)
> I've never had to do something like this before so I'm lost on where to
> begin.
> All of our outgoing mail goes through a postfix smtp hub... as does our
> incoming mail as well. Our pop server is off site in Tampa and I don't have
> much access to it except for a web interface to the Communigate software.
> Is there a way to accomplish what my bosses would like me to do?
> I would appreciate any information anyone might be able to provide.
> Thanks,
> Bradley

 Absolutely. You said you are using Postfix for incoming and out going mail.
This means that this person's internet email MUST pass through postfix and
presumes that he isn't using a hotmail account. So just have Postfix pipe all
mail to a bash script that greps for this guy's email address. If it finds
the guy's email address then pipe the message to tee which in turn appends
the message to an mbox file of your choosing and pipes the message with the
sendmail command. If his email address isn't found then simply pipe the
message to the sendmail command, skipping the tee.

I suspect you would really like the script to do the job but I'm afraid I
haven't the time right now. This script would only need to be about three or
four lines long. The time is in the testing and debugging.