Re: [SLUG] Getting copies of mail

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 20:39:05 EDT

Bradley Brown wrote:
> I hate to have to ask this but it has become apparent that I have to do
> something about the situation.
> One of our sales reps is "allegedly" divulging trade secrets vie email to
> rival companies and some customers. My higher-ups have asked me to begin
> tracking all of the users email and keep copies of them for review. They
> would also like me to track incoming mail to this user as well. All without
> attracting the attention of the user... of course. :-)
> I've never had to do something like this before so I'm lost on where to
> begin.
> All of our outgoing mail goes through a postfix smtp hub... as does our
> incoming mail as well. Our pop server is off site in Tampa and I don't have
> much access to it except for a web interface to the Communigate software.
> Is there a way to accomplish what my bosses would like me to do?
> I would appreciate any information anyone might be able to provide.
> Thanks,
> Bradley

Haven't tried it myself yet, but the postfix-2.0.8-20030417 snapshot
release introduced this feature. Postfix 2.1 probably won't be out for
a few months yet, but many people run the interim snapshot releases.
You can use always_bcc_maps in your main.cf and sender_bcc_maps and
recipient_bcc_maps to specify senders and recipients that should trigger
a bcc to another account. man cleanup for details. If you are trying
to be sneaky, make sure the account that will get the bcc's is setup.
Bounces to your account that gets a copy of all that person's mail will
be returned to the original sender like any other bounce. Also, hope
they are not smart enough to be reading this list.

If you are not, or cannot, run a new enough postfix you can use
always_bcc which has been around for a while. However, this will send a
  blind copy of every mail that passes through the server to another
account. Not ideal on a busy MTA, and you'll need to do it on both your
incoming and outgoing servers, but you might be able to filter them in
your client. This one I did just try myself. Just add the line:

always_bcc = snoopy@your.tld

to your /etc/postfix/main.cf and then do "postfix reload".

snoopy@your.tld will soon have a very busy inbox. When Major Bart sends
this back to me from NKS I'll get two of them, one bcc'ed to another
account. I need to go turn that off soon. :)

Good luck,

Greg