[SLUG] question on using Debian packages

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 07:25:28 EDT

I was wondering what all the Debian users out there do about installing
current software.

For example: I would like the latest version of webmin, mozilla and
OpenOffice. The problem is that all the packages I find for Debian are
not the current releases. So I was wondering. Do I just uninstall the
packages and the install using the tar files? Or do I create tar files
with alien and install using dpkg -i ?

What do most of you do? The webmin I found for Debian is like 9 release
behind the current development version. I did try to create a deb
package from the webmin tar file and then installed the dep package over
the webmin package that was installed. I didn't get any errors but now
webmin is not working. Should I have uninstalled the version on my
system and then installed the deb package or just give up on the dep
package thing and use tar?

Thanks for any help on this.
Mike M.