Re: [SLUG] question on using Debian packages

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 12:21:56 EDT

On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 07:25AM -0400, Mike Manchester wrote:
> I was wondering what all the Debian users out there do about installing
> current software.
>
> For example: I would like the latest version of webmin, mozilla and
> OpenOffice. The problem is that all the packages I find for Debian are
> not the current releases. So I was wondering. Do I just uninstall the
> packages and the install using the tar files? Or do I create tar files
> with alien and install using dpkg -i ?
>
> What do most of you do? The webmin I found for Debian is like 9 release
> behind the current development version. I did try to create a deb
> package from the webmin tar file and then installed the dep package over
> the webmin package that was installed. I didn't get any errors but now
> webmin is not working. Should I have uninstalled the version on my
> system and then installed the deb package or just give up on the dep
> package thing and use tar?
>
> Thanks for any help on this.
> Mike M.

Well, if you use Testing, there are more new things.
If you use Unstable, there's even more new things...

Unstable has just about all the new things, I think. It's always
changing, too. The newest of everything will always be considered
unstable in Debian. :)

So, if it is a workstation, I'd use Testing. I do use Testing, in fact.
I would use Unstable, but I'm too chicken. ;)

--
Govern a great nation as you would cook a small fish.  Don't overdo it.
              -- Lao Tsu