Re: [SLUG] Compiling 2.6.0-testx kernels

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 11:12:28 EDT

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 09:37, Russell Hires wrote:

> My real concern is a repeat of what happened w/ 2.4.0, which is
> (imagine booming voice from above): i386 always comes first, and the other
> archs follow later on.

> Now we're in beta status...and I'm making that effort, and so far
> people seem almost hostile to me doing it. I don't understand that.
>
> I thought the linux kernel (and other FOSS) were made better by volunteers.
> Here I am volunteering, and no one wants my help! Can someone explain this to
> me?

Unfortunately you've pretty much got it bang on in those two top
paragraphs. The Linux kernel development "team/process" has really
become a member's-only clique. The barrier to entry has gotten so high,
that it's effectively not possible to get in if you're not already in at
this point. I think, from some of the comments I've seen from him
recently, Linus is aware of it and wants to do something about it, which
is part of his move to OSDN full-time.

It's not good, but that's where it seems to be right now.

My suggestion is to try to get the attention of one of the smaller,
ancilliary dev groups, like the people working directly on the PPC
stuff. The inner core is pretty much blocked off, so you have to go in
through someone who already has an in.

"We all enter this world in the    | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked |        http://www.eff.org/
in blood. But if you live your     |  http://www.anti-dmca.org/
life right, that kind of thing     |---------------------------
doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould