[SLUG] More Help requested!

From: Mike (sixosix_2000@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 01:29:23 EDT

Hi!

It's Mike the newbie here again, asking for more help.
I am losing some hair on this one. Let me provide the
details:

I have a Trustix 1.5 box running a
yet-to-be-in-production small business website on
Apache 1.3.27. I simply want to be able to password
protect some webpages.

1. Example files are test1.html and index.html in
directory /web_stage
2. web_stage is in the /home/httpd/html/ path.
3. Permissions on the directory and the files have
been set to 755.
4. I created group six_web and set the user of that
group sixosix as the owner of file test1.html
5. I created a password file with htpasswd.
6. I created a <Directory/> directive within
httpd.conf:
<Directory /home/httpd/html/web_stage/>
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "BackEnd for Testing"
    AuthUserFile /usr/bin/pass/passwords
    Require sixosix
</Directory>

7. I did not create an .htaccess file in the web_stage
dir as I had read that one does not need to add both.

8. When I attempt to access /web_stage/index.html or
test1.html, I get a password box as expected, but it
will not accept the username/password that I setup. In
fact, it won't accept anything.

9. I was advised on an earlier response to a question
that I should consult the SLUG archives. However, I am
not able to locate them on this website. Could someone
please direct me to them?

10. Also, I have searched Google numerous times for
this type of problem and have come up with hits that
were not exactly related to my issue.

I hope I provided enough info. I appreciate all
comments.

Sincerely,
Mike

=====

                "Dogs and cats living together.... Mass hysteria!"

                   -Dr.Venkman (Bill Murray) -Ghostbusters