Re: [SLUG] strange DMESG

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 10:18:34 EDT

Steven Buehler wrote:
> I would try removing the USB reader and rebooting without it to see if
> the error persists. If the error persists, it's probably your hard
> drive causing the error.

Rebooting is always the *last* thing I try to do. I blame Microsoft for
the ingrained "reboot fix" that most folks seem to have these days.

Modular kernels allow for rmmod/insmod/modprobing the drivers back to
reset a device - Monolithic kernels tend to require the "reboot fix"
more than they really need to. Occasionally, you will get a wedged user
process deadlock on a device (so that you cannot remove/reload a
module), but that is fairly rare.

> Maureen L. Thomas wrote:
>
>> I keep getting a
>>
>> Finding Module Dependencies: ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read
>> failed.

Whatever driver module is trying to be loaded (usb-storage?) is failing
due to a missing symbol. I believe the symbol in question
(ldm_validate_partition_table) is in ldm.o, which is part of the Windows
Logical Disk Manager (ala Veritas Dynamic Disks). If you run "lsmod", do
you see "ldm" loaded? What happens when you try to "modprobe ldm"? Have
you tried "depmod -a" to rebuild your
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep file recently? If not, try that, and
then try the modprobe again.

I don't build my kernels with ldm support for a number of reasons.

>> I can boot with no problem but wonder if this refers to my hard drive or
>> my media card reader that has no disks in it. The card reader is
>> connected to my USB but I still can't read the memory disk from my
>> camera (a separate problem). I've tried to find something in the man
>> pages and my Running Linux book and can't find anything. What I need is
>> an error book that lists all the errors a newbie could possible do and
>> how to fix em. TIA, Maureen

This is a missing symbol. The driver that provides that function call
(symbol) is not loaded into your kernel. Try locating the missing driver
module and loading it manually (with insmod or modprobe) before loading
the device driver for your media (probably usb-storage).

And, no, you really shouldn't need to reboot for any of this. ;)

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: