Re: [SLUG] (FWD) A note to SLUG

From: marrandy (marrandy@chaossolutions.org)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 22:48:30 EDT

On Saturday 19 July 2003 02:57 pm, you wrote:

Well, I'm catching up on some mail.

> On Tuesday I had the unique opportunity to spend the day, and evening
> with Linus Torvalds, Maddog Hall and Larry Augustin at CA World in Las
> Vegas. Because I work with the Linux group I was afforded time to speak
> with them because they were our guests for Linux Day.

Well. I've never personally met them, but I have email replies from Linus,
Brad Templeton, Eric Raymond, Matt Dillon and others. it's laways nice to
hear from the 'great's' occasionally.

> And then it finally hit me...Linux is more than the Operating System.
> Open Source is more than free software that one can hack at will. The
> School Project was more than free software...it was a community
> involvement...the Open Source community. SLUG is a great part of the
> community, as are other LUGs. I never intended for things to go as they
> had in the past. But after Tuesday I understand what many of you tried
> to tell me.

Well Linux or GNU/Linux if that's what you like, is a co-operative venture.
Pieces to the whole.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that being able to see the source is a
great learning tool for people to be able to puruse and learn from it. How
it's designed and structured. I think that is the greatest benefit of all.

One day, I hope I can go to a DevCon. (man, have I dropped back into
Amiga-speak ?

Passed away, but not forgotten :-)

Regards...Martin

--