Re: [SLUG] I.B.M. Explores Shift of White-Collar Jobs Overseas (lengthy)

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 09:52:12 EDT

Despite the near-certainty of making myself vastly unpopular, I'm going to
voice my opinion.

I think that this needs to happen, and is inevitably going to happen.
With hardware steadily becoming cheaper and more powerful, and
high-quality free software becoming increasingly more available,
developing and newly-developed nations are getting the tools they need to
compete effectively with the rest of the "first world" in IT.

Sure, jobs that were previously held in America will now be performed by
people in India, the Phillippines, and other such countries, and I
sympathize with those who will be losing theirs (I've lost at least two
jobs to overseas outsourcing). In all fairness, though, we really don't
deserve to keep them. Would you buy a car from your neighbor for $80,000
when you can get the same car from someone else for $5000? Of course not!

It's about time that the worldwide economy got some balance, and IT
expansion like this will definitely help.

Levi