Re: [SLUG] /dev/null

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 15:47:15 EDT

   I just got:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 23 18:53 /dev/null

   I don't understand why read permission would be needed, I've never
been able to read anything out of the bit bucket. I would think write
for all would be desired. I know this is a security problem, but I
don't know a better way to silence some program's output than send
it to the bit bucket. Users need to run root's script files, I
give them all non root ownership for security reasons.
   I'd like to find the `mother load' of what are the correct permissions
for everything. Although I don't have accesses to my books, I don't recognize
the type of file "c", can some one remind us what this is.

--
        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% Slack. since July, 1997 (still free!) SENT D&T are UTC