Re: [SLUG] /dev/null

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 13:13:07 EDT

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> I'd like to find the `mother load' of what are the correct permissions
> for everything.

Notwithstanding PAM juggling the permissions based on who's logged in and
so forth, the "standard" permissions for device files are usually
specified in /dev/MAKEDEV (search for the device name, permissions should
be listed next to it).

However, I just looked at a newish RedHat box, and for some inexplicable
reason MAKEDEV is now a binary. Oh well, it's not the first stupid thing
RedHat's ever done.