Re: [SLUG] Reboot or not to reboot...

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 14:24:07 EDT

   As far as I have read, any kernel module (driver) can be added
to, or removed from your running kernel, but to add a piece of
hardware I always power the system down, for safety (to hardware)
reasons, a momentary mismatch to the 50 pin connector could cause
a system lockup.
   Adding a CD-RW should not require any driver change, cdrecord
contains it's own drivers, a table of commands for various
drives, if you are set up for one CD-RW drive you should be
set up for any CD-RW drive as long as it's not too new for
your version of cdrecord. AFAIK
   Adding a SCSI adapter (card) without powering down is one
thing I would NEVER do.
   If you mess with a worshiped uptime box you are in for
heart ache. Have one that you turn on and off to WORK with.

> >> accquired an old SCSI Plextor 12/20 CDRW and I want to install
> >> it in my home box.

> The only time you have to re-boot in LINUX, other than
> for a poorly written program, (to re-scan installation files,
> as winblows does it) is to add a hdc=ide-scsi like command
> line into the kernel, I don't know any way around that. AFAIK
        Ron 73

--
        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% Slack. since July, 1997 (still free!) SENT D&T are UTC