Re: [SLUG] OO Writer Question

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 12:39:06 EDT

On Saturday 26 July 2003 07:54, J. David Boyd wrote:

> On Saturday 26 July 2003 07:28, you wrote:
> > You could eliminate two steps by just using vi or vim as you word
> > processor. :)
> > Mike M.
>
> I tend to do all my text entry in Xemacs, but then I past it into
> StarOffice writer to mark it up for emphasis. Works pretty well, I guess.

There are documents and then there are documents.

A text editor is great for short messages and configuration files but I would
not want to write books with it.

On the other hand there is OO Writer and Lotus for Linux (which I don't have
installed. I did have before I screwed up my update front Md 9.0 to Md 9.1)
and a few others which really don't work well with doc files.

As far as doc files go the business world lives off of doc files so it is doc
files or don't bother us with your computer problems.

That of course brings up the subject of Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE
Enterprise. Personally I have a hard time believing that anyone would pay
that much for a obsolete system. Obsolete did you say. YES. It may not be
obsolete the day they compile it but it definitely is not up to date the next
day so what else would you call it after 2 to 3 years; the expected time
before they plan on issuing update.

Wonder what their word processor are like. No I don't care to find out. I had
enough of those type of problems with Star office 5.1. Thanks but no thanks.

Anyway those are my thoughts; maybe yours will be different.

Frank