Re: [SLUG] OO Writer Question

From: Brad Smith (brad_stephenssmith@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 16:05:06 EDT

> That of course brings up the subject of Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE
> Enterprise. Personally I have a hard time believing that anyone would pay
> that much for a obsolete system. Obsolete did you say. YES. It may not be
> obsolete the day they compile it but it definitely is not up to date the next
> day so what else would you call it after 2 to 3 years; the expected time
> before they plan on issuing update.

huh?

Are you saying that RH, Suse, etc's Enterprise products only release updates every 2-3 years? If
so, I think you're mistaken, but I don't want to launch into a big explaination if I
've just misunderstood you.

Short version: The reason (for example) Red Hat Adv Server looks like RH 7.2 is because it is an
enhanced version of the distribution based on software that has been around the block long enough
to have had all the kinks worked out. Bug fixes, security fixes and feature updates are released
regularly, though, so it stays up to date in all the ways that count.

--Brad