Re: [SLUG] music without guilt

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 10:35:48 EDT

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003 at 08:00AM -0400, Eric Jahn wrote:
> The RIAA would have no easy way of catching a stream ripper, but
> possession of ripped streaming media still sounds as illegal as a song
> ripped from a CD.

Ripping *MY* CD's into .ogg's and *NOT* sharing them is not illegal!
Now, if I were to give or sell the CD, and not delete the .ogg files,
that would quite possibly be illegal, but I don't.
I myself own the CD that I bought, or that was bought and given to me.

My ownership just does not include copy rights; I don't have the right
to copy it, except for my own fair use.

Now, recording radio streams, I find it hard to believe that
that is illegal. While at the St. Pete meeting yesterday,
I recorded some streaming media into an analog storage device,
that is to say, I taped a TV show. That is not illegal, right?
What if I tape some FM radio station? What if I get a FM radio card
and record to .ogg files? I don't really see why that would
be illegal.

Possession of ripped songs that one made can not be illegal unless
tapes and VCR's are.

--
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
                -- Mark Twain