Re: [SLUG] music without guilt

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 16:46:30 EDT

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, bpreece1 wrote:

> You have to use an apple compression format! <--- Can you say proprietary!

MPEG-4 AAC is an Apple proprietary format? Somebody should inform the
MPEG group immediately.

> You have to pay an monthly fee to use ther service.

False.

> A Dollar for a single tune!
> You pay for Your internet access.

Well, nobody's holding a gun to your head -- either a song is worth a
dollar, or it isn't. For plenty of people, that price is acceptable it
seems.

Not sure what you're getting at with the "internet access" comment -- of
course you need net access to buy stuff in the first place.

> Time Limit on how long the song last.

I've certainly never heard such a thing, and nothing in the Apple
documentation has said so. Got a source for this one? I mean, other than
an anonymous slashdot comment?

> So In one month if you downloaded 10 songs plus your monthly fee You have
> spent more than what a Cd would run!
> Average Cd 10 to 12 songs no difference in cost!

Well, there's no monthly fee, so I guess your analysis is faulty. Most
CD's cost more than $10, and besides that, you can't go into a music store
and buy a single track (a few minor exceptions aside). In other words,
$20 spent in the iTunes store can potentially offer more value for the
dollar than $20 spent buying the entire albums in a music store (and
paying for tracks you *don't* want).

> Next if you want a certain bit rate for better sound you have no control
> what the iTunes offers you.

That's true enough, although in theory the format offered is inherently
superior to what MP3 provides (I don't know enough about audio codecs to
confirm or deny this).

As to your proposed P2P scheme, I don't have enough of an idea how the
RIAA licenses online distribution to comment. But I suspect any scheme
involving the uploading of (possibly illegal) music wouldn't go over very
well.