Re: [SLUG] music without guilt

From: John Pedersen (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 10:11:56 EDT

Eric Jahn wrote:
> The RIAA would have no easy way of catching a stream ripper, but
> possession of ripped streaming media still sounds as illegal as a song
> ripped from a CD.

I think the real target of the RIAA is people who TRANSMIT the songs;
whenever you run your Napster or Kazaa, you are, at the same time,
putting your songs out there to "share" with others.

Perhaps the RIAA is so greedy and powerdrunk that it really is illegal
to save copies of shoutcast material. However, as I see it, here we
have a radio station or shoutcast station that is legally transmitting
music that I can listen to all day long, day after day. I then make a
copy of some of those songs for my own personal use.

I see that as quite different than when I become a SOURCE, as with
Kazaa et al. Whatever the law may be, I can personally feel very
comfortable with this--hence the subject header: music without guilt.

John