Re: [SLUG] music without guilt

From: Jared Quedens (jared_quedens@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 19:09:06 EDT

> | Perhaps the RIAA is so greedy and powerdrunk that it really is illegal
> | to save copies of shoutcast material. However, as I see it, here we
> | have a radio station or shoutcast station that is legally transmitting
> | music that I can listen to all day long, day after day. I then make a
> | copy of some of those songs for my own personal use.
> |
> | I see that as quite different than when I become a SOURCE, as with Kazaa
> | et al. Whatever the law may be, I can personally feel very comfortable
> | with this--hence the subject header: music without guilt.

At one time I did look into running a shoutcast server legally. The RIAA has
guidelines for radio stations and free media. Basically these guideline prevent
you from broadcasting a full or partial CD in a timely manner. I forgot what the
exact timelines were, something like you cant play 2 songs off the same cd within
45 minutes of eachother or by the same artist. Although Shoutcasters dont exactly do
that, The ones that dont are shurely going to be on the RIAA hit list. As for saving
these streams I dont consider that Illeagal (Yet Anyway). I remeber some crap with
recordable cassette players years ago that that ended with, recording broadcasted material
for personal use was o.k.. Well hope this tid bit cleared some of this up for yas.